Monday, November 29, 2010

Rat City Scrimmage, practice, renegade, and too little sleep.

Had a whirlwind of misadventures since the last post, so some summarizing is in order...

Went to Bend, OR and skated in a renegade derby bout with Earl Slick, Speed Dealer, and Han Cholo from LCC and Hurt Vonnegut from CCDG whom I promised I would mention in this blog... so there you go, Hurt. She actually knocked me down for the first time at that bout, but being allowed to scissor kick does make things easier for her. The bout was VERY different that derby as I know and love it and it definitely took some getting used to. The track was about 1/2 the size, the jams only one minute, and the rules virtually non-existant. It was fun once I realized it didn't count as sports by my standards, and I definitely saw potential to pick up some bad habits mixing both styles of play.

Lots of practices between then and this weekend, where I have been slowly making progress improving the horror-show that is my form, and working on my hits. I had the unique joy of having a rib get popped out of place at an LCC practice (where that same rib was pounded 3 more times because someone didn't have sense enough to sit down...), but it got popped back in at practice the next week, and is almost completely back to normal now. So much fun...

On Saturday, Hotboxx, Stitches & Bones (both of STDD), and I drove to Seattle and played in the Rat City open scrimmage. We got there a bit late so the ladies opted to get the USARS day insurance that let them skate with the boys. We got to skate with several Rat City travel team skaters including Anya Heels, ReAnimate-her, and Carmen Getsome. Also, Puget Sound Outcast Derby was there in force, so I finally got to skate with the most established men's derby team on the West coast. Radillac, G. No-Evil, and all the rest of the PSOD crew were awesome skaters and very friendly. I'm definitely looking forward to skating with/against them at the Wild-West Showdown in March and possibly sooner than that for a scrimmage as well. Good times!

1 comment: