Friday, July 23, 2010

New Bearings = WIN

So a while back I bought some new bearings. After talking with Boyd @ Oaks I went with the Qube 8-ball, which, like their name suggests, have 8 balls rather than the traditional 7 per bearing. They (Qube) claim the extra sphere and a deeper groove/channel results in a bearing with good roll and excellent resistance to blowing out from side loading (cornering forces for the most part). I was interested in them because they were a reasonable price point, and I trust the people @ Oaks. Also, I knew that the bearings which came with the skates hadn't been cleaned/serviced since I purchased them back in March, so they would likely need to be replaced or at minimum serviced soon if I wanted to avoid any annoying sounds or failures.

The 8-balls certainly seemed to roll-on better than the previous set (ABEC-7s, I believe sure-grip brand but not certain). Felt like I had a little better glide and/or coast when I was paying attention. Since this was only my second set of bearings, I don't have a strong scale to measure them against, but will put them through their paces, servicing them monthly now that I have oil to do so, and hope to chart how they hold up to my 220+ lb abuse. Only time will tell. For now I am happy with them and hope to feel some improvement at practice this weekend.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to talk to Beki tomorrow about new wheels... might look into those Qube bearings, they sound pretty sweet. How did they treat you this past practice?

    ReplyDelete