Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Floorburn FTW!

Went to Open Skate for general skating and working on endurance. Things went well for the most part, got to practice plow stops, some light backwards skating, some of the weakest attempts at a tomahawk this century. I felt good and warmed up and worked on whatever fundamentals occurred to me with my friend and was having a good time getting in a decent workout.

Later in the session (Wednesday afternoons are the best time to go btw, very few people there) people cleared out so I figured it was time to speed things up a bit. I had sprinted a few laps throughout the day whenever I had the room to safely do so, but hadn't done any back-to-back so I decided this was the time. Laps 1 & 2 felt good, crossovers were smooth and I was holding good speed through the turns leading to faster straights every lap. Had lap 3 continued like the first two I would have been content to call it good there, but obviously, it didn't. The second turn a crossover became a cross-up and I stumbled. Having been working on and discussing proper falls recently I had the perfect opportunity to put the theory to the test rather than fight the fall and end up going down like a felled tree. So I took a knee, which, given I was at the apex of the turn and had some serious radial forces going on, went very well. No bruises, and only floorburn on my thumb where it was exposed just past my wristguard. Floorburn so deep I might not have a thumbprint there again...

Good workout though.

No comments:

Post a Comment